Sunday, February 19, 2017

10 Things I want to do when I'm Debt-Free

We all need to dream a little. Y'know, have goals. If Chris and I are getting out of debt without a reason at the end of this journey then it'll feel like work without any reward. No fun in that and I have admit there are days right now when this whole getting out of debt thing isn't very fun so, having something exciting to look forward to at the end of all this kinda makes it worth it.

One of the biggest things Chris and I will have to decide is whether we want to own or rent a home. We still haven't figured out that question yet. There's pros and cons to both ideas but I have to say my biggest fear about owning a home (and ironically I've owned two houses before) is being able to afford the utilities bills on top of the mortgage and property taxes. You see, when I owned houses before, in my early twenties, I didn't have mortgages on either house. I owned them outright. Now with this whole crazy increase in hydro cost on top of all the other bills, it's kinda scares me. Furthermore, we have a very fixed income. It'll never increase (until we get pension) nor will it ever decrease. We will receive the exact same amount of money down the penny forever. Hmm... we're praying on this question... and thankfully we have three or four years before we have to decide that big question.

We've been asked "Well, if you need more of an income why doesn't Chris work again?" Easy answer to that, which I have explained previously to folks: it'll make our taxes go up again. So, half of what Chris makes will go towards taxes. No point in that happening again. We have a good income, we just need to manage it well and live within our means.

Beyond that, there are a few things that are important to us. We look forward to having a little more freedom financially to able to do some things for God while enjoying the pursuits that interest me. Here's the "Ten Things" list we came up with:

  1. Continue to tithe and give where The Lord leads us
  1. Save for car 
  1. Disney World 
  1. Budget specifically for Bible Journaling 
  1. Budget for books and records
  1. Buy a new couch 
  1. Buy a new desk 
  1. Save for a honeymoon cruise 
  1. Visit mum & Eric in BC 
  1. Save for adoption

We're excited about the future... very excited. All this budgeting now will be worth it. For now, our couch that is slowly falling apart will have to survive a few more years. (Chris was having trouble with it just after dinner, this evening.) We will have to continue to scour the shelves in the laundry room for abandoned books that peak our interest and I'll just use our plastic folding table as my art desk until we can afford the secretary's desk that we fell in love with at Ikea.

Small sacrifices.... so worth it.....

I can't wait to go to Disney World or our cruise honeymoon though... looking forward to that! Can't wait to finally be able to seriously look into adoption... We still talk about the kids everyday... That dream is still there... 

Living like no one else, so later we can live and give like no one else....

No comments:

Post a Comment