Thursday, November 16, 2017

The dreaded letter arrived

Yesterday we opened up the mailbox and Chris saw there was a letter addressed to me by the Canada Revenue Agency. I always dread hearing from them. Typically it's just bad news; "We need more of your money! Give it to us now!"

If you remember from my post near the beginning of October we had received my tax return and then subsequently a week later another letter from CRA stating they were reviewing medical expenses of  $6,511. They wanted us to resend the medical receipts so that everything could be verified.

After contacting our accountant and resending the medical receipts we just sat waiting and praying that whatever answer we received back wouldn't be too crazy. Honestly, I totally expected CRA to say they wanted us to send them more money and very possibly over six thousand dollars. My medical expenses were legit but you know never know what they will think is legitimate no matter how much documentation you send them.

So, opening this letter yesterday was just something I had to brace myself for. I was determined that whatever the end result would be I would stay positive and find a way to pay them.

I had to read the letter three times, guys. They accepted ALL our medical receipts! We are in the clear and my 2016 taxes are officially fully completed! *happy dance* It's not enough just to file on time. There always some response from CRA, sometimes negative, but this time it was positive!

I cried. Oh, I cried happy tears! Good news! Oh, The Lord has blessed us! If there had been a bill it would've set us back another year, but nope... no bill... Both of us got on our knees and cried... So thankful for God's provision.... We are so reliant on His timing and we knew that no matter what answer we received back from Canada Revenue Agency, with Heavenly Father's help, we'd pay.

We have yet to hear back from CRA's review of Chris' 2016 taxes. If you remember, they're reviewing $1500 of medical claims as well and Chris just submitted the taxes for previous years he didn't even know were not filed. So, we still have a little ways to go in our waiting but one more hurdle is done! There are days when we feel Tax Debt will always be our ball and chain... but hopefully, we're wrong. We are trying to
stay optimistic as Chris and I still wade through the remainder of our debt and just take one day -- or rather one letter -- from CRA at a time....accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.

For now, we can just take a moment and be thankful for this good news as we approach the end of 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment